11 Jun 2015

My Brighton Fringe Diary #26 Post Brighton Fringe feedback and planing what's next #MyBrightonFringe2015 #MadeinCumbriashow #spiritjunkie

It's now been over a week since the Brighton Fringe finished. I do miss it.

I have been gathering feedback from people about my show and writing notes on what I need to work on. People keep asking me how I feel and what I am doing next. To be honest, I haven't let myself think about the show in too much detail or let myself attach an emotion to it. This has been a good thing.

I know my show is a really good starting point for where I want to be and I am fully aware I have so much work to do. The things I personally want to work on are tighten material, the physicality of the individual characters and giving the characters more history.

I have a list of what I am doing next and I am getting out of the country for a week so I can sit on a far away island to plan the next 6 months of my life.

The things I do know are I am going to be writing a 'Made in Cumbria' radio play which will include my characters. I have started writing a couple of new characters and have notes I want to write up for the 'hobbies' project I have been keeping on the back burner for a few years now. The key is to keep that writing muscle strong and let the inspiration flow.

Through my meditation I have created space for inspiration and ideas to come through to me. I may have mentioned this before, but a lot of my ideas come to me when I am in the shower. The thing is I've now trained my mind so when I am calm and quiet I start getting 'the call' to write and have ideas flow. I have had to stop myself doing this recently as I am trying to enjoy a week off. I am going to sit and wait for this flow when I am chilling on a beach with a notebook in hand.

The other exciting thing I am going to do is start a podcast. I'm waiting to get inspiration for a name for it and it's still in very early ideas stage. I am not going to reveal too much about it until I am ready. The fact I am excited about it is a really good sign. 

I have also started researching venues for Edinburgh Fringe 2016, planning a marketing strategy and action plan for how to build on the work I have already done. It feels weird to not be working every day after 7 months of solid graft on my Brighton Fringe show. I'm sure I will step up the pace again when I am 100% clear on my next list of goals and intentions. I get a real kick out of being busy working on something I am in love with.

On my 'time off' I have also been watching lots of inspiring and motivational videos on Youtube. If you are also putting yourself in a position of getting your work out there you will find this video very interesting from Brené Brown. Fellow comedian (and mentor) Anna Morris recommended it.

Author and vulnerability researcher Brené Brown shows us how to deal with the critics and our own self-doubt by refusing to "armor up" and shut ourselves off. "Not caring what people think," she says, "is its own kind of hustle."




While I have given myself a week off I have been also obsessing over Advanced Style and the documentary of it on Netlflix. It has been inspiring to see how these women are so driven, stylish and loving life right into their old age. 

I have become a bit bored of young people saying how they are getting old. (Especially young twenty something comedians who say they are getting old - stop it!!!) 

Everyone is getting older. Having a positive attitude about it is what is key. These women are just winning at life in their 70's and even 90's. I love it. It makes me want to get out every piece of jewellery and bright clothing I own and wear it!




On a completely different subject, I love the fact the sun is shining today in Brighton & Hove. I feel happy an my instincts are telling me I have lots of exciting opportunities and fun on the horizon once again.

Make sure you follow me on twitter @_JPostlethwaite On Instagram @_JPostlethwaite and on facebook at facebook/JanePostlethwaiteComedy 


No comments:

Post a Comment