27 Mar 2015

My Brighton Fringe Diary #16 10 top tips on how to not go nuts when working alone on a fringe show #MyBrightonFringe2015 #MadeinCumbriashow #spiritjunkie

I've been in the North for a week now and I have noticed how far I have come in terms of spending time alone. I now really enjoy my own company. When working on a big project like a fringe show you are often working alone and problem solving. Even if you enjoy your own company, after a few hours of this you can tend to start feeling slightly low on energy, possibly a bit down, start doubting everything you are doing and feeling ugh. This is the time to mix up that energy. Take a break.

Here are my 10 top tips that have helped me keep going the last week.

1) Spending time with friends and family talking about anything apart from your show. Here's a photo of a cat I found in a charity shop. We didn't mention my show once.



2) Eat well. If possible go out to a cafe to eat. Have cake if you want it. Life's too short.



 3) Work in new places like cafes or outside




 4) Play some music for a bit and even have a dance around the room (or have a secret dance in an art gallery - see below)



5) Go play basketball or a sport of your choice - I played basketball on an empty court for 40 mins. I also stretched, did some yoga and a headstand while I was there! Why not?!!






6) Visit a museum - I went to the beautiful Dock Museum, made new friends and tried on hats. Plus, I learnt about vikings and history in Cumbria! I like the way the exibits have questions with them. For example, "Did someone try to cremate this skull?"








 

 






7) Go to your Nanna's for a Nanna tea. If you don't have a Nanna get someone else to make you a Nanna tea. Looks like this. Real chips made in a real chip pan.



8) Get inspired - This could be from listening/watching other comedians or funny programs. I have loved watching 3rd Rock from the Sun on Netflix. Plus, listening to American Comedian, Dan Cummins' new album Chinese Affection. 



9) Meditation - Visualisation meditations are great to help you focus on clearing your mind making room for more creativity and for imagining how your show might feel / look / be. 



10) Walking - Go for a walk. Take your music/headphone/podcasts and walk. Enjoy a view. Come back, sit outside and have a cup of tea. Enjoy another view.


Hope these work for you. Just remember you can so much fun even if you are on your own. 

Make sure you follow me on twitter @_JPostlethwaite On Instagram @_JPostlethwaite and on facebook at facebook/JanePostlethwaiteComedy 

No comments:

Post a Comment